Cisco® 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers build on 25 years of Cisco innovation and product leadership. The new platforms are architected to enable the next phase of branch-office evolution, providing rich media collaboration and virtualization to the branch while maximizing operational cost savings The Integrated Services Routers Generation 2 platforms are future-enabled with multi-core CPUs, support for high capacity DSPs (Digital Signal Processors) for future enhanced video capabilities, high powered service modules with improved availability, Gigabit Ethernet switching with enhanced POE, and new energy monitoring and control capabilities while enhancing overall system performance. Additionally, a new Cisco IOS® Software Universal image and Services Ready Engine module enable you to decouple the deployment of hardware and software, providing a flexible technology foundation which can quickly adapt to evolving network requirements. Overall, the Cisco 2900 Series offer unparalleled total cost of ownership savings and network agility through the intelligent integration of market leading security, unified communications, wireless, and application services.
Cisco 2900 Series builds on the best-in-class offering of the existing Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers by offering four platforms (Figure 1): the Cisco 2901, 2911, 2921, and 2951 Integrated Services Routers.
All Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers offer embedded hardware encryption acceleration, voice- and video-capable digital signal processor (DSP) slots, optional firewall, intrusion prevention, call processing, voicemail, and application services. In addition, the platforms support the industries widest range of wired and wireless connectivity options such as T1/E1, T3/E3, xDSL, copper and fiber GE.
Enabling Borderless Networks at the Branch
The Cisco 2951 Integrated Services Router (ISR) delivers highly secure data, voice, video, and application services for small offices. Key features include:
– 3 integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports with 1 port capable of RJ-45 or SFP connectivity
– 2 service module slots
– 4 Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Card slots
– 3 onboard digital signal processor (DSP) slots
– 1 internal service module slot for application services
– Fully integrated power distribution to modules supporting 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Cisco Enhanced PoE
– Onboard hardware acceleration for VPN encryption
– Secure collaborative communications with Group Encrypted Transport VPN, Dynamic Multipoint VPN, or Enhanced Easy VPN
– Integrated threat control using Cisco IOS Firewall, Cisco IOS Zone-Based Firewall, Cisco IOS IPS, and Cisco IOS Content Filtering
– Identity management using authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA), and public key infrastructure
– High-density packet voice DSP module, optimized for voice and video support
– Standards-certified VoiceXML browser services
– Cisco Unified Border Element capabilities
– Cisco Unity Express voicemail support.
– Support for Cisco Communications Manager Express and Survivable Remote Site Telephony